The FIA has found itself on the receiving end of a second statement
over "driver misconduct" from a drivers' association of a
motorsport it oversees. Following in the footsteps of F1's GPDA,
Rally's WoRDA (World Rally Drivers' Alliance) has spoken out
against tough new rules introduced by the motorsport governing
body. Earlier this month, WRC's Adrien Fourmaux became the first
competitor punished under the FIA's harsh and controversial
stewards' penalty guidelines, which allow for severe fines – and
even suspensions and championship points deductions – for swearing
or speaking out against the FIA. In its statement, WoRDA says its
members were "inspired by their GPDA colleagues" after it took
similar action towards the end of last year. After outlining
respect of referee's decisions as a core principle, the statement
reads: "In recent months, however, there has been an alarming
increase in the severity of the sanctions imposed for minor,
isolated and unintentional language lapses. This has reached an
unacceptable level." It goes on to list some key beliefs of the
drivers involved with WoRDA, before concluding with a call for
"direct communication and engagement between the FIA President
[Mohammed Ben Sulayem] and WoRDA members…" See the full statement
below as shared by eight-time WRC champion Sebastian Ogier.
1893970137088237826 pic.twitter.com/Ml2IXlBB4N — Sébastien Ogier
(@SebOgier) February 24, 2025
over "driver misconduct" from a drivers' association of a
motorsport it oversees. Following in the footsteps of F1's GPDA,
Rally's WoRDA (World Rally Drivers' Alliance) has spoken out
against tough new rules introduced by the motorsport governing
body. Earlier this month, WRC's Adrien Fourmaux became the first
competitor punished under the FIA's harsh and controversial
stewards' penalty guidelines, which allow for severe fines – and
even suspensions and championship points deductions – for swearing
or speaking out against the FIA. In its statement, WoRDA says its
members were "inspired by their GPDA colleagues" after it took
similar action towards the end of last year. After outlining
respect of referee's decisions as a core principle, the statement
reads: "In recent months, however, there has been an alarming
increase in the severity of the sanctions imposed for minor,
isolated and unintentional language lapses. This has reached an
unacceptable level." It goes on to list some key beliefs of the
drivers involved with WoRDA, before concluding with a call for
"direct communication and engagement between the FIA President
[Mohammed Ben Sulayem] and WoRDA members…" See the full statement
below as shared by eight-time WRC champion Sebastian Ogier.
1893970137088237826 pic.twitter.com/Ml2IXlBB4N — Sébastien Ogier
(@SebOgier) February 24, 2025